Jubilee Strawberry Cassis with Champagne
Makes about 1 litre of Cassis
Preparation 20 minutes
- 200ml white, neutral spirit such as gin or vodka
- 100g caster sugar, plus extra for the rim of the glass
- 200ml water
- Mint leaves and Jubilee Selections strawberries, to decorate
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Pour the strawberries and alcohol in a large pan or bowl and using a masher, extract all of the strawberry juice from the strawberries (or alternatively, you can use a hand blender here). Use a very fine sieve to strain and remove all of the seeds and larger pieces of fruit.
- In a separate pan, dissolve the sugar in water over a low heat, then gently simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until a thick syrup forms. Set aside to cool.
- In small stages, slowly add the sugar syrup to the strawberry mixture, tasting and checking for the correct sweetness as you go. Pour into a bottle and seal until needed.
- When ready to serve, squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl and turn each champagne flute upside down so that the rim is lightly coated in the juice. In a separate bowl, sprinkle in some caster sugar and repeat the same method so that that glass rim has a coating of sugar. Pour about 35ml of cassis into the bottom of each champagne flute and top with champagne. Decorate with an extra fresh Jubilee strawberry and mint leaves. Enjoy!