Strawberry, Goats Cheese, Broad Bean & Pea Salad
Preparation 15 minutes
Cooks in 5 minutes
- 225g fresh peas, podded (reserve some opened in pod for garnish) or use frozen petit pois, defrosted
- 225g fresh broad beans, podded or use frozen, defrosted
- Handful of fresh mint leaves, half finely chopped, half left whole
- Generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 400g punnet of Jubilee Selections by Driscoll’s® strawberries, hulled and quartered (reserve a few with leafs intact for topping)
- 120g soft goats’ cheese, cut or broken into small pieces
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Handful of fresh mixed edible flowers such as nasturtiums, borage and pansy flowers (optional)
- Lime wedges to serve (optional)
- Add the fresh or frozen broad beans to a pan of boiling salted water and cook for about 3-5 mins, add peas for the last 2 minutes, drain well and leave to cool (see tip if using frozen broad beans).
- Add the olive oil and chopped mint to the peas and broad beans and season with a pinch of sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper and toss well to coat.
- Add the quartered strawberries and gently toss together, transfer to a large wide salad bowl or platter or individual plates then top with the goats’ cheese, basil leaves, remaining mint leaves and then top with remaining strawberries. Sprinkle over edible flowers if using and serve with lime wedges if using.
Cook’s tip: If using frozen broad beans you may prefer to peel them after cooking as the outer skin can be tough.
Cook’s tip: leave the fresh peas raw if you prefer.