Strawberries with Mint and Balsamic Sorbet
Preparation 45 minutes, plus cooling and freezing time
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 50g mint leaves, plus extra small mint leaves
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar syrup
- 350g Jubilee Selections strawberries, hulled and quartered
N.B. You will also need: a medium-sized freeze proof container
- Place the sugar and 500ml water into a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the sugar is fully dissolved. Increase the heat to bring the syrup to a boil without stirring. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer, without still without stirring, for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the cooled sugar syrup with 50g mint leaves and the 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, and whizz to a liquid.
- Strain through a sieve into a freeze proof container and freeze for 2 hours, until the edges start to set. Remove and stir vigorously using a fork, or place in a food processor and whizz to break up the crystals. Freeze again. Continue to break up the ice crystals using this method every hour for the next 6 hours, then leave in the freezer until frozen hard.
- Combine the strawberries, the remaining balsamic vinegar and some of the extra mint leaves in a bowl, and leave to marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature. When you are almost ready to serve, remove the sorbet from the freezer for 10 minutes to slightly soften.
- Divide the strawberries with their juice between four serving glasses, and top each with a scoop of sorbet and a mint leaf.