Strawberry & Cream Stack
Preparation 30 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes + cooling in oven
For the merrigue
- 4 egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- Icing sugar for dusting
For the filling
- 300ml pot of double cream, lightly whipped
- 400g punnet Jubilee Selections by Driscoll’s® strawberries, hulled and sliced (reserve a few smaller ones intact with leaf for topping)
- Handful of fresh basil leaves (optional)
You will need 2 x large baking sheets lined with parchment paper
- Preheat oven to gas 1/4/100C (80C in fan oven) First draw out four circles on the parchment paper about 20.5cm/8inch round. Add the egg whites to the bowl of a food mixer and using the whisk attachment, whisk until the mixture is softly peaked then slowly add the caster sugar and whisk until stiff peaks (you should be able to turn the bowl upside down without any coming out). Divide the mixture equally between each circle and smooth out to make four disks. Put in the oven for about 30 minutes (do not let them brown at all) then turn the oven off and leave the meringue in there for a few hours until cool. Remove and put to one side.
- To assemble, sit one meringue disk, flat side down onto a serving plate then spread with cream (either pipe this on or spread it very gently with a knife),top with strawberries then top with the next meringue layer, flat side down. Repeat filling and layering until finished and topping with final meringue. Dust with sieved icing sugar and top with whole strawberries and scatter over basil if using. Slice to serve.
Cook’s tip: You can layer some basil leaves with the strawberries if you wish – they make a great flavour combination!