Preparation time: 30 mins plus 4 hour chill time
Cook time: 50 mins plus cooling
This beautiful & deliciously fresh strawberry shortbread pie has it all.
- 7 Tablespoons Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 50g sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 150g sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2-3 drops red food colouring (optional)
- 125ml water
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons cornflour
- 85gc ream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons glaze (recipe above)
- 450g Jubilee Strawberries
Whipped Cream Optional
- 300ml whipping cream
- 1 sugar
- In a bowl combine butter and sugar. Blend to make a paste. Add yolk and blend thoroughly. Add flour using your fingers, blending to make crumbly dough. Do not overwork. Pat firmly into a 9” pie pan. Let it rest in refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees.
- Remove pie from refrigerator and prick bottom of the crust with a fork. Place a sheet of parchment paper large enough to overhang covering the entire pie pan. Fill to the top with baking beans. Bake crust in preheated 200 degrees oven for 10 minutes. Remove the parchment paper with baking beans. Cover crust edges with foil and bake another 3 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 2 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- In a small bowl mash enough strawberries to make ¾ cup of strawberries. In a saucepan, mix sugar and cornflour. Gradually stir in water and mashed strawberries (optional add 2-3 drops of food colouring if a deeper red colour is desired). Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens; cool completely about 35 minutes.
- In a medium bowl beat cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of glaze filling until smooth. Spread evenly at the bottom of the pie crust. Line one row of fresh cut strawberries covering the cream cheese mixture. In a large bowl combine the rest of the glaze filling and cut strawberries, distributing glaze evenly over the strawberries. Arrange strawberry mixture in the crust, placing in the centre of the pie crust working towards the outer edges. Chill for 2-3 hours before serving.
- Whipped Cream
In a small bowl beat whipping cream and 1 tablespoon of sugar until soft peaks form. Serve each piece of strawberry pie with a dollop of whipped cream.